Enterprise Architecture Meta Models
2 August 2006
I’m trying to define good meta model for Enterprise Architecture.
The Archimate meta model is a good starting point,
see the Archimate Resource Tree (http://www.telin.nl/NetworkedBusiness/Archimate/ART/index.html) for details.
It is open to use, but perhaps is not yet known to the world at large, outside of the Netherlands.
Are there any other Enterprise Architecture meta models ?
What is the meta model for the Zachman Framework for instance ?
Many tool vendors do publish some meta models for their tools.
One issue I find is that very often there is a suite of tools from the same vendor, for example one for Business Process Modelling, another for UML modelling, another for Data Modelling and so on.
These individual meta models often are not integrated and many concepts end up being represented in different and overlapping ways.
Interesting questions are:
- How is the information in a business process model related to classes in a UML class diagram?
- How are different modelling levels represented ?
- How are Business Processes related to Services and to Applications?
- How are different scenarios (current, target) represented?
- How are strategy and performance concepts related to the other concepts ?